Friday, January 13, 2012

CAUTION!! Fiancee is Flammable

Remember how I said I wouldn't post anything until Wednesday or Thursday?

I lied.

Remember how I said that I would only post if something important happened?

Something important happened.

Allyn started on fire. Literally on flippin' fire. How does one start on fire? Well it's quite simple actually! Let me tell you how :)

Let's start from the beginning. A few months ago, I told my step brother's fiancee that I would edit more pictures of them as a Christmas gift. I may have procrastinated a bit and waited until last night to do them. hehe. Anyway, I also procrastinated by not taking the chicken out of the freezer the previous night and putting it in the fridge to thaw. So because I didn't thaw it, I decided to boil the chicken to thaw it and cook it at the same time. I asked Allyn if he could just make sure the chicken didn't start to boil over (it takes 15-20 minutes for the thaw/cook process) because I wanted to go and work on a picture I was editing for my step brother, Nate, and his fiancee, Cortney. When I left Allyn, he was holding Zander and seemed a little unhappy he had to watch chicken boil. I get that. Watching chicken boil probably isn't much fun. Before I walked back to our room (where the computer is) I said if he needed me to just holler.

I would say 2-3 minutes later I heard, "babe."  Not an urgent sounding "babe"  - just a regular, calm "babe."   So I answered, "what?"   There was an unusually long pause, but I waited patiently to hear what he needed. I honestly thought he was going to complain that I was editing pictures. Yeah, I was wrong.

"I'M ON FIRE!"

My immediate thought was naturally, 'oh my God, put out the fire!'  So I obviously got up and started rushing to the kitchen. On my way there, I thought of how Allyn was holding Zander when I left him. My heart immediately dropped. I was seriously terrified. So when I got out to where they were I looked at Allyn fighting off his flames to my right. I didn't see my babies. I looked to my left, Zander and Corvin were laying/sitting on the floor crying (understandably so!). I wanted to get the fire extinguisher, but I knew that would take too long to dig through the cupboard, read the instructions and then try and use it. So I joined Allyn in batting the flames away with our bare hands. It only took 30 seconds or so to put out the flames, but it felt like 5 minutes. FYI - seeing the person you love on fire is beyond frightening. 

Once the fire was put out, Allyn took off what was left of one of his favorite button up shirts and I examined the damage. He has 5-6 patches of very red skin on his back, but no severe burns. Some of his hair burned at the ends, including some of his eye lashes. The worst of it is on his right hand, the hand he was using to battle the flames. As of right now, I believe he has 3 blisters and his entire hand is pretty red. He has a very high threshold for pain but he says that his hand actually kind of hurts. My poor babe :( I'm so thankful that he had a quick reflex to put Zander down somewhere safe and that Corvin didn't try to run towards him! I'm also very thankful that he's 95% okay!

Lessons have been learned though. Allyn learned to not lean against a stove while the burners are on. I learned not to procrastinate. :) 

Let's hope nothing else crazy happens that I need to blog about in between now and Wednesday or Thursday!

Oh, and here's what I was working on while Allyn was lighting himself on fire :)


Talk to you all in a few days!
♥Taber

No comments:

Post a Comment